Published: November 2020
Planning a stopover or layover in Moscow? Perhaps you have an early flight and don’t want to rush to start your day. Whatever your reason, a night at a hotel near Moscow Domodedovo Airport is a great way to be within close distance to everything Moscow has to offer or the perfect place to refresh mid-journey.
Located 42km from the centre of Moscow, Domodedovo Airport – known in Russian as Домодедово – is one of Moscow’s four airports. Today, Domodedovo is the second busiest airport behind Sheremetyevo International Airport.
There is one terminal at Moscow Domodedovo Airport divided for Domestic and some former Soviet republic countries and the other for international flights.
But where to stay near Moscow Domodedovo Airport? I’ve rounded up the best options to sleep close to Moscow Domodedovo Airport in this handy post!
- 0.1 What you need to know about Moscow Domodedovo Airport
- 0.2 Can I sleep at Moscow Domodedovo Airport?
- 0.3 Are there pay-per-use lounges at Moscow Domodedovo Airport?
- 0.4 Are there showers at Moscow Domodedovo Airport?
- 0.5 Are there in-terminal hotels at Moscow Domodedovo Airport?
- 1 Which hotels are near Moscow Domodedovo Airport
- 2 Hotels at Moscow Domodedovo Airport
What you need to know about Moscow Domodedovo Airport
Five things to make your stopover in Moscow easier:
- If you are transiting through any of Russia’s airports you will require a visa with very few exceptions.
- While announcements are made in Russian and English, there are very few airport workers who speak English. Expect a language barrier.
- There is limited free WiFi available throughout the terminals and it requires authentication via SMS. If you don’t have a Russian SIM, head to the Megaphone Internet Centre on Level 2.
- There is a couple of luggage storage room at Domodedovo Airport. For international travellers, you can use self-service lockers (100₽/hour) located inside the International Arrivals Area. There’s also luggage storage on the Ground Floor of Domestic Arrivals costing between 500-1500₽/day depending on the size of your pieces.
- If you have time before your flight, be sure to head into Moscow for a spot of sightseeing. Domodedovo Airport connects to central Moscow’s Paveletsky Rail Terminal via the Aeroexpress. It takes 45-minutes to get from the airport to Moscow central and costs around 470 Rubles for an economy ticket or 1,000 rubles for a Business class ticket. To plan your trip, visit the Aeroexpress website.
- In the lead up to the 2018 Soccer World Cup, new regulations were implemented to stop “bad behaviour”. You can be fined 100 – 500 rubles for things such as sleeping in the airport, listening to music without headphones, and riding airport trolleys.
Can I sleep at Moscow Domodedovo Airport?
Yes, you can sleep at Moscow Domodedovo Airport but as previously mentioned you could be fined. From what friends have told me, it appears they have relaxed in the years since but it is a possibility.
The airport is open 24-hours.
Are there pay-per-use lounges at Moscow Domodedovo Airport?
Yes, there are several airport lounges that travellers can access if they don’t hold a Business Class ticket or premium airline status.
At the time of writing, a number of airport lounges are open 24-hours. These include the Shostakovich Lounge (Domestic) and Airport Business Lounge (International).
UPGRADE YOUR TRAVEL EXPERIENCE: Access Airport Lounges around the world with Priority Pass
Are there showers at Moscow Domodedovo Airport?
Yes, there are public showers at DME Airport. Located in the international arrivals area, for 350₽ you can freshen up before your flight. The showers provide you with a towel, disposable slippers, and a toiletry kit. Hairdryers are available for rent for an additional 50₽.
Showers are open 24/7, but often closed for maintenance between 1:00AM – 3:00AM.
You can also find showers in some of the business lounges.
Are there in-terminal hotels at Moscow Domodedovo Airport?
The Airhotel Express is the only in-terminal hotel. It’s located inside the airport on the 2nd floor, next to the KFC.
Which hotels are near Moscow Domodedovo Airport
Check out the handy comparison chart below to choose the perfect hotel near Domodedovo Airport:
|Airhotel Express||Inside the airport||3-star||Yes||– Snack bar||– Inside airport||$$|
|Airhotel Domodedovo||Next to|
– Complimentary minibar
– Free airport shuttle
|ibis Moscow Domodedovo Airport||5-minutes from airport||3-star||Yes||– Restaurant|
|– Free airport shuttle|
– Laundry room
Hotels at Moscow Domodedovo Airport
The newest hotel at DME Airport, Airhotel Express is located inside the airport terminal. This allows passengers transiting through Moscow to stay at a hotel without exiting the terminal (previously transit passengers had to leave the terminal and use a shuttle van to access the nearest hotel).
With a range of rooms suiting solo travellers all the way through to larger families, Airhotel Express offers clean, comfortable rooms without a lot of fuss. Rooms are simply furnished with a bed, workspace, flat-screen TV, and private ensuite. Complimentary bottled water is provided. You’ll have access to free WiFi and rooms with air conditioning/heating.
You can purchase some light refreshments from the reception
The hotel is located on the 2nd floor, next to the KFC.
Fun fact: This was the first hotel inside an airport terminal in Russia
Location: Domodedovo Airport District bldg 1, 142015 Domodedovo, Russia
Located less than 500 metres from Domodedovo Airport, Airhotel Domodedovo offers comfortable rooms with a little more space than the airport hotel.
Rooms are simply furnished with single or double/twin beds. There’s a fridge, complimentary WiFi, and complimentary tea and coffee facilities. The in-room minibars are complimentary for guests.
If you want a little more space, consider booking into Club and Club Lux rooms. These rooms have large lounge areas or a separate lounge area (one-bedroom apartment).
During your stay, be sure to make use of the on-site gym and sauna. There’s also an on-site restaurant, bar, and snack bar if you are feeling hungry.
A complimentary airport shuttle is available for those who don’t want to walk to the airport.
Location: Аэропорт Домодедово стр. 6, Moscow Oblast,
ibis Moscow Domodedovo
Located a five minute-drive from DME airport, ibis Moscow Domodedovo provides a quiet spot to rest .
In true ibis-style, rooms are modestly fitted with everything you need and nothing more. Compact rooms include a desk, double or twin beds, desk, wardrobe, and ensuite. Larger family rooms are also available to book. Best of all, guests have access to unlimited WiFi throughout their stay!
Feeling hungry? You can dine at ibis Kitchen restaurant or relax in the 24-hour bar.
Guests can take advantage of complimentary airport transfers. For guests travelling to the airport, the airport shuttle runs at ..:00 and .:30 24/7. For guests arriving at the hotel, take the free shuttle at ..:15 and ..:45 from line B3, exit no. 1.
Location: 40Km A-105 Building 3, Domodedovo, Moscow Oblast
Planning a trip to Moscow?
Read these first!
Stopover Guide: 48-Hours in Moscow